Wednesday 31 March 2010

Drugs



Ooooooh, a nice little topic here, oh and by little topic I mean a broad and interesting topic that has many different views shared by many people around the world.

You get drug campaigns telling you to never touch drugs and to report both users and dealers. On any channel that can be watched by a teenager there is guaranteed to be an advert for FRANK (http://www.talktofrank.com/) , the ‘talk to us about anything, especially drugs’ helpline.

Now I appreciate that yes, many people are misinformed about drugs and seem to have no opinion on them other than the opinion spoon fed to them by the government but really? A whole helpline to do with drugs? I’m sure the money that goes into the helpline and the advertising can’t be worth it. If you actually need to speak to someone about drug use either:

a) If you really have no clue about whether you should take drugs, stick to the simple rule of DON’T.

b) If you know a friend is taking drugs and you want to help them to stop SPEAK TO THEM NOT A HELPLINE.

I know some people are too afraid to do so, I appreciate that I really do, but with how many help lines are available now you would have thought that there should be no problems in the world, but guess what, there are.

Well anyway, that’s my rant on drugs and the whole health and safety annoyance spinning around in my head dealt with so let’s move on with the post.

---------------------------------

There are lots of different drugs on offer these days, ones that make you hyper and bounce off the walls, some that make you slowly drift in and out of sleep so you’re in a haze of tiredness. Hell there are even a few that make you see flying unicorns and giant purple frogs (you think your dreams are messed up, wait till you see a purple hippo cruising down the street riding a dragon, yeah I see you cowering).
For all the bad things that I say about FRANK though they do have a great A to Z of drugs that are known around the world. If you wish to know more just visit the website: http://www.talktofrank.com/atoz.aspx

In any case there is pretty much a drug for everything in this world. All of them being discovered pretty much by accident, some scientist realises a tribe in some distant land has been chewing and smoking a certain leaf, BOOM cannabis is realised and brought to the west. Someone notices that certain parts of the poppy plant can be extracted and used, VOILA here comes Morphine, Heroine and other derivatives.

With so many plants and such around the world there is no way of knowing what they can be used for, if you think about it before major colonisation there were forests everywhere, with plants growing in abundance. Just think what those now gone forever plants could do, maybe nothing, but perhaps one of those that was pushed to extinction before major scientific advancements could have cured Alzheimer’s?

Onto my opinion on such illicit substances, now I’m not going to say I’m a saint, why you may ask, well because I’ve already done a post on lying and that would be hypocritical. However I am also not a junkie. I won’t go into what I have tried in my relatively short amount of time alive and I will let you guess my fancies.
The reason I say this is, firstly I cannot be bothered to find out background information to supply you guys and girls about the few drugs I have come into contact with and secondly because of the fact that some may think that my experiences may influence my thoughts (which is completely true).

Now I have no problem with the use of marijuana in both medical uses and also in casual recreational use as there has been no concrete evidence of harm from such use, however regular daily use is another story, that can cause ‘lazy sperm’ in guys and a lower sex drive in both males and females.

Other than the previously stated marijuana I have a pretty much universal view of drugs. From cocaine and heroin to LSD, I am against there use mainly down to the general issues associated with the usual abuse of the product after first use.
All in all that is the main problem I have with drugs, the overuse and addiction of the substances. A carefully administered dose would generally have very limited side effects.

Which nicely brings me round to my last point, the legalisation of various drugs. I see no reason as to why many drugs cannot be legalised, by doing so the government could tax the products and control usage. Though with all sudden legalisations there would be a binge period and the media would latch on and bite hard it would, in my opinion, lead to a more stable and controlled usage of drugs. Hell if all else fails it would at least cleanse the gene pool of those stupid enough to binge on heroin and such like.

If you wish to know more or find out about a drug have a gander over at the aptly named
http://www.drugs.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment